Friday, September 03, 2004

Two sites I recommend

A couple weeks ago, I discovered two great coding-related sites which I recommend checking out:

The Daily WTF is subtitled "Curious Perversions in Information Technology.

On the Daily WTF, coders are encouraged to submit fragments of code they stumble upon that just don't make any sense. I highly recommend a daily visit to this site for a few quick laughs. I wish I still had access to some of the old code I've had to debug in the past, and I'll admit to having written some pretty foul code myself when I was first started out my software career. My personal favorite block of heinous code is How To Query "Pointless Pointless Pointless Pointless Pointless Pointless Pointless". I personally hate in-line sql statements, and that has to be the worst in-line statement I've ever seen.

Here's another good one: Good Table Name, Redux, where every table name in the system is a three-character abbreviation. If you ask me, the Software Development Industry has a long way to go before it becomes a mature industry. Databases such as the one illustrated here should simply not exist. Personally, I consider this type of development to be completely negligent.

I've had to waste more time than I care to think about working on poorly structured and documented systems such as those described on this website.

If you haven't checked out .NET Rocks yet, you are missing out. .NET is a weekly radio show hosted by Carl Franklin and Rory Blyth. The show features discussions on many .NET related technologies, and is quite entertaining. Each week, they invite guests to come on. Recent guests have included Rocky Lhotka, Jeff Richter, Miguel de Icaza, and Charles Petzold. In addition to the guests, Carl and Rory keep things entertaining with various features like "The Google Weirdos" and musical performances. They are currenltly on episode #79, and every episode is available for download in MP3 or WMA format from the website. I'm currently working on downloading and burning every single episode to CD. I enjoy listening to the shows with headphones during the workday, although I've occasionally caught myself laughing out loud, much to the disdain of my fellow co-workers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home